Question by ntoriano: How to protect mother-in-laws money from gambling husband?
Here’s the situation, wife wants to “hide” and protect money set aside for savings and retirement, etc. from husband with major gambling problem. Will having a savings or brokerage account in her name and a daughter’s name only be sufficient to protect from any “legal” proceedings (eg. Divorce, separation) or does the account need to be placed in a living trust or other estate planning tool? This issue seems to me that the money put away constitutes as “community property” in CA. CA is a community and no-fault divorce state.

Best answer:

Answer by Sam X9
Open an account in your name only. There should no way for them to find out that she kept a money with other persons name with her name as co-depositor.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *